Being single is not always such a tragedy – instead, you can use this time to become a better person, to get to know yourself better and actually make your life better. Even though having a soul who completely understands you and loves you for who you are, somebody to live your life together with is clearly a lot better than being single, you should still take advantage of those early moments of your life when you have no significant other and become a better person.
If you don’t know exactly how to do it, we have below 8 things you should do when you’re single to just become better and learn to enjoy life more!
1. Travel alone. I have yet to meet the person who doesn’t like to travel, but traveling alone – just you and your backpack – is an amazing experience usually leading to self discovery and better understanding yourself as a person. Make it the adventure of your lifetime and travel alone to a foreign country and stay away from being a regular tourist – instead, embrace the local ways of living and try to blend in. Maybe you’ll even find the love of your life doing it!
2. Live alone. This means a lot more than staying up all night, wearing the same set of pajamas for three days in a row and stacking pizza boxes as high as possible. Live alone, cook for yourself, take care of yourself and the place you’re living in and prepare for the ultimate experience: you’ll learn to enjoy silence, solitude and all the time that you have for yourself to think and plan for your future. You can’t really enjoy living with somebody else unless you’ve learned to enjoy living alone.
3. Save Money. I know that it’s difficult – you are just starting to make money and you don’t have to depend on the help of your parents anymore and you are tempted to buy all the things that you have ever wanted. But learn to think about the future and start saving money. Start low with 5% of your monthly earnings, but be consistent and never touch those money. Instead, let them grow and offer you a better future. You’ll thank yourself after saving money for 20 years, even if it’s a small amount!
4. Change your job. It’s a lot easier to change your job when you’re single because it’s usually just yourself who’s affected. But it’s all for the greater good, especially if you don’t really enjoy your current job or you can find something better. Take that risk and enjoy the great rewards. And even if you fail, you’ll know that you did your best to change your life! (But trust me, you will NOT fail!)
5. Strengthen the bond with your best friends. You won’t have as much time for your friends when you won’t be single anymore. Then they won’t be single anymore, then kids will come and the lack of time will be the norm. Take advantage of being single and bond with your best friends and do all the crazy stuff you won’t be able to do anymore later on. It’s your life, enjoy it!
6. Splurge. It’s not something to do on a daily basis, but every now and then, just do it and don’t look back. You do have to be a responsible better half or parent, that’s true, but you have to allow yourself some pleasure every now and then just to make it all acceptable. So splurge every now and then and enjoy every minute of it!
7. Learn a new skill or maybe a new language. We are – or at least we should – be learning new stuff throughout our lives, but the more complex things, like a new language, are more difficult to take on when you’re not single. So find a skill that you really want to have or a new language that you believe will help you in the future and learn it – you will see that it’s a lot easier than you might initially believe it is!
8. Enjoy being single. As I said in the intro, being single is not a tragedy. Embrace it and learn all the best from it – actually go as far as enjoying being single for a few months. Don’t go dating, don’t try desperately to find a new lover, don’t worry. Use the time to better understand yourself – because the better you know yourself, the easier it will be later on to know exactly what you’re looking for in your partner.
These are my eight recommendations for you – take advantage of the time when you’re single and become a better person! Do you have other “must do” things when you’re single to improve yourself? Let us know by commenting below!